Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Getting ready for Winter Treats!

It's September (and still hot here in the south might I add) and I am gearing up for cold weather and Christmas treats already. I've actually been looking forward to the winter since before June. One thing that I am determined to do for my friends and family this year is make some home-made organic cocoa mix and put it in decorated jars with these amazing vegan candy-canes that I found last year attached. Yum! Maybe Sweet and Sara will have some winter-decorated marshmallow treats to go along with them. I've been racking my brain on how to make it and I think I've come across a recipe that I would love.  (I am mainly posting it here for my benefit--bad memory and all.) I found the recipe at C'est La Vegan (link opens in new tab) and I can't wait to try it!

She says that she tried the spiced version and the cardamom was a little over-powering. I might leave it and the cinnamon out all together.


Spiced Vegan Hot Cocoa Mix:

  • 2 cups soy milk powder (I have a soy allergy and found rice milk powder here. )
  • 1/2 cup good-quality cocoa powder  (My favorite is Navitas Naturals brand located here. )
  • 1 cup vanilla sugar (My favorite vanilla-ish sweetener powder is Lucuma powder. It's amazing. Read about it  here. )
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • large pinch sea salt
Sift the soy rice milk powder with the cocoa, cinnamon and cardamom into a medium sized bowl.  Stir in the vanilla sugar Lucuma powder and salt.  To make hot cocoa, stir one cup boiling water into 1/4 cup mix (I might try 6 oz. of water next time I make this so it’s tastes more chocolatey).  And for a real treat, add a Sweet n’ Sara vanilla marshmallow on top!
 (Hey, that's what I said! Great minds and all...)
Thanks for reading and let me know how it turns out if you try it. :)
Also, Vegan MOFO is coming up! I've got to get this blog in gear. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Have a nice day. :)